Ingredients (Serves 4-6)4-6 Chicken Breasts cubed or around 800g of Chicken Breast Mini Fillets
800g chopped tinned tomatoes
250g dried black beans soaked for 24 hours or around 600g tinned if you can find them
1 Red Pepper Sliced
1 Green Pepper Sliced
1 Onion Sliced
1 Garlic Clove Crushed
2 teaspoons of Hot Chilli powder (use mild if preferred)
1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon of Onion salt
1 teaspoon of Turmeric
1 teaspoon of Cumin
Salt and Pepper to season
1 tablespoon of Hemp Oil
Chopped Coriander to garnish
Directions1. If you are using dried beans and assuming you have soaked them for 24 hours, boil them vigorously for 10 minutes and then simmer for 40 minutes. Set to one side.
2. Heat the oil in a pan
3. Gently fry the onions and garlic until translucent.
4. Add all of the spices and gently toast for a further minute - this is really important to unlock the flavour
5. Add the chicken and stir, coating with all the spices and allow to brown for a minute or two
6. Add the tomatoes, peppers, black beans and seasoning to taste.
7. Simmer for around 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through
8. Serve in a bowl garnished with the coriander
Why it's good for you?
- The lean chicken is an excellent source of muscle building protein
- The beans are low GI carbs containing virtually no sugar, they're also very filling, negating the need to serve with starchy rice or potatoes.
- A serving contains around 2-3 of your 5 to 10 vegetables a day
- The hot chilli powder and cayenne pepper fires up your metabolism making it burn calories quicker.
- The peppers are rich in anti-oxidants which are thought to help protect you from diseases like Cancer.