This beautiful North African influenced Chicken Dish has a distinct unique spice flavour. The rice is an adaptation of Lebanese rice dishes that I grew up eating that would also normally contain minced lamb.
Ingredients (Serves 4-5)
1/2 cup of Harissa Paste. (You can buy this ready made or to make your own follow the recipe at http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/harissa-paste/)
1/2 cup of natural low fat yoghurt
10 Bonless Skinless Chicken Thighs
3 Cups of Brown Rice
1 Large Brown Onion Sliced
100g of Pine Nuts
1 teaspoon of Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon of Cumin
1 teaspoon of All Spice
- Mix the yoghurt and harissa paste to make a marinade
- Combine the chicken thighs and the marinade and leave ideally overnight but for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Shake off the excess marinade and grill the Chicken for 15-20 minutes until cooked through
- While the Chicken is cooking, cook the rice to instructions and gently toast the pine nuts in a dry pan for 3 -4 minutes until they colour. Be very careful to keep an eye on the pan as the nuts can burn very easily
- Remove the nuts from the pan and add the coconut oil. Once melted add the brown onion and soften gently for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the cumin and all spice and cook for a futher minute
- When the Rice is cooked, drain well and mix in the Onions and Pine nuts, serve with the chicken and a side salad.
- A squeeze of lemon juice, left over yoghurt or harissa paste all go well with the chicken.